Instagram verification will make you Public Enemy No. 1

TwitterFacebook

This piece is part of an ongoing series exploring what it means to be a woman on the internet. 


In a folder on my phone called “PUBLIC FIGURE,” I save screenshots of some of the most outrageous messages strangers have sent me since I got verified on Instagram, primarily because I still can’t believe I get so many. There are dozens of DMs that demand to know “why tf” and “how tf” I got a little blue badge. 

People will scrawl “who are you lmao” under a bunch of my photos all at once, which is a singularly mortifying experience that has no equivalent on Twitter or Facebook, where my profiles also have blue ticks. On a few occasions, I’ve commented on a celebrity or brand’s post, then watched as the replies to my original comment devolve into a fight over whether a person can buy verification and, if so, whether that’s what I did. To be clear, I didn’t. I’m a journalist and was verified for my job. My profile is categorized under “Journalist” and a Story highlight full of screenshots of my work appears right at the top of my profile. Read more...

More about Instagram, Feminism, Instagram Verification, A Woman On The Internet, and Culture


COntributer : Mashable https://ift.tt/2OyqY0J

Instagram verification will make you Public Enemy No. 1 Instagram verification will make you Public Enemy No. 1 Reviewed by mimisabreena on Monday, April 01, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Sponsor

Powered by Blogger.