The 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater' legacy: How one franchise helped shape a new generation of skate culture

The 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater' legacy: How one franchise helped shape a new generation of skate culture

The first time I picked up a skateboard, I busted my 12-year-old ass over and over again. Slamming onto the pavement, catching the side of my board in the shin or ankle, I experienced all the rite of passage injuries almost every skater will face. Many would have quit the sport in these early stages, but not me. No, I wanted to be just like the skaters I idolized in the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater video games — the ones who inspired me to get that first board, and who I lived through vicariously as I tirelessly churned out the highest-scoring combos I could muster to Goldfinger's "Superman."

I wasn't the avid gamer I am today when the first two Pro Skater games hit consoles (I was only four years old in 1999), but those who were already playing those games at the time were being introduced to a world many of them hadn't been familiar with: the world of skating.  Read more...

More about Tony Hawk S Pro Skater, Skate Culture, Entertainment, Sports, and Gaming

COntributer : Mashable https://ift.tt/34nOHdZ

The 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater' legacy: How one franchise helped shape a new generation of skate culture The 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater' legacy: How one franchise helped shape a new generation of skate culture Reviewed by mimisabreena on Saturday, August 22, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Sponsor

Powered by Blogger.