Tonya Harding biopic 'I, Tonya' turns a portrait of a punchline into a mirror of ourselves

TwitterFacebook

Toward the end of I, Tonya, an older Tonya Harding reflects back on her skating career. "I was loved for a minute, and then I was hated, and then I was a punchline forever," she says. 

I probably don't need to tell you what, specifically, she's talking about – the 1994 attack on Nancy Kerrigan made Harding that notorious, to the point that we're making movies about it in the year 2017.

But I, Tonya, written by Steven Rogers and directed by Craig Gillespie, isn't interested in a simple play-by-play of the incident we're all familiar with already. Rather, it's about the "irony free, wildly contradictory, totally true" story of how Tonya got to that fateful moment and what happened once she got there. It's interested in subjective truths, in class differences, in our national self-image, and in our cultural obsession with scandal and celebrity.  Read more...

More about Margot Robbie, Tiff, Allison Janney, Tonya Harding, and I Tonya

COntributer : Mashable http://ift.tt/2eUWWqn

Tonya Harding biopic 'I, Tonya' turns a portrait of a punchline into a mirror of ourselves Tonya Harding biopic 'I, Tonya' turns a portrait of a punchline into a mirror of ourselves Reviewed by mimisabreena on Saturday, September 09, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

Sponsor

Powered by Blogger.