We tried PillPack, the pharmacy startup Amazon acquired for $1 billion, and we can see why it has big pharmacies terrified (AMZN)

Pill Pack

For most Americans, picking up a prescription involves a stop by the local pharmacy every month or so. 

And while shoppers can go online for everything from clothing to groceries, that isn't the case yet for prescription drugs. 

That's starting to change. In June, Amazon announced its plans to acquire PillPack, a small startup that mails prescriptions to people who take multiple medications for a reported $1 billion. The news sent a whole host of pharmaceutical and drug-wholesaler stocks tumbling at the time. 

So we decided to take a firsthand look at PillPack's prescription service to get a sense of how it works, and to better understand how it could fit into Amazon's future healthcare ambitions. 

SEE ALSO: Amazon's playbook for upending healthcare just got a lot clearer — here's why it should terrify the pharmaceutical industry

DON'T MISS: Amazon and Walmart are readying for war over a growing chunk of the US population

My journey started through PillPack's website, where I input some information about myself and set up an account.



Then, it was time to plug in my pills. I don't have any prescriptions, so I skipped ahead to vitamins, picking a multivitamin and an omega-3 supplement and an iron supplement I later removed.



Then it was time to pick out my dispenser. For an extra $29, I could get a premium dispenser in different colors, but because I was only testing PillPack out for a month, I went for the disposable version.



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


Contributer : Tech Insider https://ift.tt/2OBLQ6X
We tried PillPack, the pharmacy startup Amazon acquired for $1 billion, and we can see why it has big pharmacies terrified (AMZN) We tried PillPack, the pharmacy startup Amazon acquired for $1 billion, and we can see why it has big pharmacies terrified (AMZN) Reviewed by mimisabreena on Monday, August 06, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Sponsor

Powered by Blogger.