Why I'm not buying the newest and most powerful MacBook Pro anymore

2012 macbook pro

  • The 2012 MacBook Pro I bought almost six years ago was the most powerful model I could buy, and it still runs perfectly well.
  • However, the new and improved features and design on the newer MacBook Pros made me feel like I was missing out.
  • It was difficult to justify buying a new laptop, which made me realize that buying the newest and most powerful model isn't always the best idea if you want to keep up with new features. 

Last year, I faced a conundrum. My 2012 MacBook Pro was still so good that I found it hard to justify buying a newer model.

I bought the most powerful 15-inch MacBook Pro back in 2012 because I knew its Core i7 processor would keep up for several more years than a MacBook Pro with a less-powerful Core i5 processor.

The concept is called "future-proofing." Basically, I buy a device that's way more powerful than necessary for my current needs in anticipation for the future, when operating systems and apps will require more horsepower.

My plan worked. My nearly-six-year-old laptop is still running smoothly for its age, especially after I replaced its slow, old hard drive with a more modern and fast SSD drive. I also upgraded its RAM from 4 GB to 16 GB. In the most practical sense, I had no need to spend a couple thousand dollars on a new laptop. In fact, I could probably squeeze another few years out of my trusty 2012 MacBook Pro.

But future-proofing meant I was missing out on the new and improved features found in newer models. I didn't really want my five-year-old MacBook Pro anymore, even though it still runs so well. 

In the end, I upgraded, but I didn't go for the newest, most powerful model.

Here's why I chose the MacBook model I did, and why I upgraded even though my 2012 MacBook Pro still runs perfectly well:

SEE ALSO: The best Apple MacBook laptops for every budget

I upgraded to a refurbished MacBook Pro that was a year-old at the time I bought it.

I went with a refurbished 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Core i7 and 16 GB of RAM, considered "last year's" model among Apple's newer 2017 lineup at the time I bought it.

The powerful Core i7 processor in the 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro will last me several years, just as the i7 did on my 2012 MacBook Pro. That means I'll probably face a similar conundrum down the line when Apple introduces great new features that make my 2016 model feel old. But at least I didn't pay for a brand-new 2017 model — I saved myself $450 by going with a refurbished laptop.

Plus, one of my requirements for a laptop is a 15-inch display, and Apple doesn't offer its 15-inch MacBook Pro with anything less than a Core i7 processor. So I didn't have much of a choice unless I was willing to compromise on screen size, which I clearly wasn't.

You can read my review of the refurbished 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro here.



One of the biggest reasons I upgraded was because my 2012 MacBook Pro was a hulking beast.

The mid-2012 15-inch Apple MacBook Pro looks and feels like a brick compared to pretty much every model that came after it. It's almost an inch thick and weighs a little less than 6 pounds. Back in the day, that was fine for traveling, as it was pretty normal for a 15-inch laptop to be so big and heavy. Today, however, it's no fun packing and carrying around such a heavy machine.



Compare it with today's sleek, slender, and lightweight MacBook Pro.

The 2016 model of Apple's 15-inch MacBook Pro is just under 0.60 inches thick, and it's about three entire pounds lighter than my old 2012 MacBook Pro. It's still no featherweight, but it's a lot more portable.



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


Contributer : Tech Insider https://read.bi/2EME47s
Why I'm not buying the newest and most powerful MacBook Pro anymore Why I'm not buying the newest and most powerful MacBook Pro anymore Reviewed by mimisabreena on Thursday, December 27, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments:

Sponsor

Powered by Blogger.