We drove an $87,000 Jaguar I-PACE to see how it compares with a $57,500 Tesla Model 3 and a $150,000 Model X. Here's the verdict. (TSLA)

Jaguar I PACE 3

  • I've driven the Tesla Model 3 sedan, the Jaguar I-PACE compact crossover, and the Tesla Model X three-row SUV.
  • The vehicles vary quite a bit in capabilities, appointments, and price.
  • But in the end, I think the Tesla Model 3 is the best car.

This is going to be a slightly unusual comparison, but it isn't my fault.

As I've noted before, Tesla has a segmentation problem. Here at Business Insider, when we want to match up compact crossover SUVs, we can find two similar vehicles from different brands. But when it comes to all-electric cars, it's a different story.

The Tesla Model 3, for example, could take on the Chevy Bolt — and I have compared the vehicles. But the Bolt is the only true long-range EV on the market for under $40,000. Tesla isn't yet making the $35,000 version of the Model 3, so you have to point out that the available Model 3 is a premium/luxury car while the Bolt is a mass-market offering.

A larger issue is that because Tesla is selling only three vehicles and has to tweak them in various ways — amenities, self-driving system, total range — to serve buyers at different economic levels, it's challenging to manage good direct comparisons with anybody else's cars.

Making matters even trickier will be the arrival of a bunch of EVs from luxury automakers over the next few years: the Porsche Taycan, the Audi E-Tron, the Mercedes EQC, and so on. Everybody is kind of doing their own thing.

The Jaguar I-PACE, which we sampled last year, is a case in point. The Tesla vehicle it should match up against is the forthcoming Model Y crossover, but that isn't yet being produced. Still, the I-PACE is on sale, so if you're shopping electric, chances are you'll give it a look.

So here's the idea: I'll compare the Jag with the Model 3, which is cheaper, and the Model X, which is pricier. I know which vehicle I like best, but I'll try to set it up so you can make the best choice for your needs.

FOLLOW US: On Facebook for more car and transportation content!

First up: the 2019 Jaguar I-PACE EV400 HSE in "Corris gray." The 2019 Jaguar I-PACE starts at $69,500, while the top-spec HSE variant starts at $80,500. With options and fees, our test car came to $86,720.

Read the review.



Jaguars are supposed to be beautiful cars. The I-PACE looks nice. But beautiful? Not in my book. However, it is poised, powerful, and sleek.

"The I-PACE utilizes a design principle called cab forward, which pushes the cabin towards the front of the car while moving the wheels to the far corners," Ben Zhang said when he reviewed the vehicle.



The leaping cat is front and center.



See the rest of the story at Business Insider


Contributer : Tech Insider https://read.bi/2I5TwPi
We drove an $87,000 Jaguar I-PACE to see how it compares with a $57,500 Tesla Model 3 and a $150,000 Model X. Here's the verdict. (TSLA) We drove an $87,000 Jaguar I-PACE to see how it compares with a $57,500 Tesla Model 3 and a $150,000 Model X. Here's the verdict. (TSLA) Reviewed by mimisabreena on Tuesday, February 12, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Sponsor

Powered by Blogger.